Are you looking for the best things to do in Ajloun? If so, we’ve got you covered in this blog post.
Did you know that Ajloun is a hidden gem nestled amidst lush green hills in Jordan, offering a plethora of exciting experiences?
From our past experience of leading group trips here and our last visit to this place, we learned that Ajloun is a treasure trove waiting to be explored.
So, fasten your seatbelts and join us as we unveil the top things to do in Ajloun, ensuring that your visit to this remarkable destination becomes an unforgettable experience.
5 Facts About Ajloun
1. Ajloun is a historic city in Jordan known for its imposing Ajloun Castle, dating back to the 12th century.
2. The city is surrounded by lush green hills and forests, offering breathtaking natural beauty and picturesque landscapes.
3. Ajloun is home to the Ajloun Nature Reserve, a haven for wildlife and nature enthusiasts, boasting diverse flora and fauna.
4. The Ajloun region is famous for its thriving olive groves, producing high-quality olive oil that is renowned both locally and internationally.
5. Ajloun’s strategic location provides panoramic views of the Jordan Valley and neighboring countries, making it a captivating destination for tourists.
Best Things to Do in Ajloun
Here are some of the best things to do in Ajloun that you might enjoy;
1. Ajloun Castle
Ajloun Castle is one of the best tourist attractions in Ajloun. It is a historical landmark in Jordan, dates back to the 12th century. Perched on a hilltop, it offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
This well-preserved fortress served as a strategic defense post during the Crusades, guarding the trade routes and protecting the region.
Today, visitors can explore its fascinating architecture, climb its towers, and delve into its underground passages, gaining insight into the castle’s rich history.
Ajloun Castle stands as a testament to the region’s past and provides a captivating glimpse into the medieval era.
- Location: Ajloun, Jordan
- Famous For: Ajloun Castle is a historic fortress nestled atop a hill, offering panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. It is renowned for its medieval architecture and strategic significance in defending against Crusader invasions.
2. Tell Mar Elias Ruins
The Tell Mar Elias Ruins in Ajloun showcase ancient remnants of human settlements dating back thousands of years.
These archaeological ruins offer a window into the past, providing valuable insights into the civilizations that once thrived in the region.
The site comprises the remains of ancient buildings, tombs, and artifacts, all revealing the cultural and historical significance of the area.
Exploring the Tell Mar Elias Ruins allows visitors to connect with the region’s ancient roots and gain a deeper understanding of the people who lived there throughout history.
- Location: Ajloun, Jordan
- Famous For: The Tell Mar Elias Ruins showcase ancient archaeological remains dating back to the Iron Age. Visitors can explore the remnants of a Byzantine church and gain insights into the region’s rich historical past.
3. Ajloun Forest Reserve
Nestled amidst the rolling hills of Ajloun, the Ajloun Forest Reserve is a natural paradise teeming with biodiversity. This protected area covers over 13 square kilometers and features dense woodlands, scenic trails, and a rich variety of plant and animal species.
The reserve serves as a haven for nature lovers, offering opportunities for hiking, birdwatching, and eco-tourism.
Visitors can immerse themselves in the tranquil beauty of the forest, encounter rare wildlife such as roe deer and wild boars, and appreciate the importance of conservation efforts in preserving Jordan’s natural heritage.
- Location: Ajloun, Jordan
- Famous For: The Ajloun Forest Reserve is a lush natural reserve known for its biodiversity and scenic beauty. It is home to diverse flora and fauna, including oak trees and various bird species. Nature enthusiasts can enjoy hiking trails, picnic areas, and wildlife spotting.
4. Ajloun Tourist Park
Ajloun Tourist Park is a family-friendly destination that combines entertainment and education. Located in the heart of Ajloun, the park offers a range of recreational activities and attractions for visitors of all ages.
From playgrounds and picnic areas to mini-golf and go-karting, there are plenty of opportunities for fun and leisure. The park also provides cultural experiences, including traditional handicraft workshops and performances, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in Jordanian traditions.
Ajloun Tourist Park serves as a vibrant hub where families can relax, engage in recreational activities, and learn about the local culture.
- Location: Ajloun, Jordan
- Famous For: Ajloun Tourist Park offers a family-friendly recreational space with various amenities. Visitors can enjoy playgrounds, green spaces, and recreational facilities. It is an ideal spot for picnics, leisurely walks, and outdoor activities.
5. Mount ‘Auf Hike
For those seeking a more demanding hiking experience, the Mount ‘Auf hike presents an exciting challenge. Rising to an elevation of around 1,300 meters, Mount ‘Auf offers breathtaking panoramic views of Ajloun and its surroundings.
The hike to its summit requires stamina and perseverance, as the trail navigates steep ascents and rocky terrain. However, the rewarding vistas and the sense of accomplishment make it all worthwhile.
As hikers conquer the summit of Mount ‘Auf, they are rewarded with sweeping views of the Jordan Valley and a profound connection with the rugged beauty of the Ajloun region.
- Location: Ajloun, Jordan
- Famous For: The Mount ‘Auf Hike offers a challenging yet rewarding trek up the majestic Mount ‘Auf. Adventurers can enjoy panoramic vistas, rugged terrain, and a sense of accomplishment upon reaching the summit. It is a popular destination for hiking enthusiasts seeking thrilling outdoor experiences.
Best Time to Visit Ajloun
The best time to visit Ajloun, Jordan, is during the spring (April to May) and autumn (September to November) seasons. During these periods, the weather is pleasant, with mild temperatures and lower chances of rainfall, creating ideal conditions for exploring the region.
In spring, Ajloun comes alive with vibrant colors as wildflowers bloom across the landscapes. The temperature ranges from comfortable to slightly warm, making it enjoyable to visit Ajloun Castle, a significant historical site, and embark on nature hikes in the Ajloun Forest Reserve.
Autumn is another favorable time to visit Ajloun, with temperatures gradually cooling down after the hot summer. The weather is typically sunny, and the surrounding countryside showcases breathtaking autumn foliage, adding to the beauty of the region.
Summer (June to August) can be hot in Ajloun, with temperatures reaching their peak. It is advisable to carry sun protection and stay hydrated if visiting during this period. Winter (December to February) brings colder temperatures and occasional rain showers, which may limit outdoor activities but can still provide a unique experience of the region’s natural beauty.
How to Get to Ajloun
1. By Road
Traveling to Ajloun by road is a convenient option. From Amman, the capital city of Jordan, you can take a taxi or hire a private car to reach Ajloun. The journey typically takes around one to two hours, depending on the traffic and road conditions.
2. By Train
Unfortunately, Ajloun does not have a direct train connection. However, you can still reach Ajloun by train indirectly. First, take a train from Amman to the city of Irbid, which is approximately 30 kilometers northeast of Ajloun. From Irbid, you can then hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Ajloun, which is about a 30-minute drive away.
3. By Air
Ajloun does not have its own airport. The closest major airport is Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) in Amman, which serves both domestic and international flights. Upon arrival at the airport, you can hire a taxi or arrange for private transportation to Ajloun.
Where to Stay in Ajloun
1. Ajloun Cabins (Ajloun Forest Reserve): Ajloun Cabins offer a unique and cozy accommodation experience in the heart of nature. Nestled within the Ajloun Forest Reserve, these rustic cabins provide a tranquil retreat surrounded by lush greenery. Each cabin is well-equipped with comfortable amenities and offers stunning views of the forest.
2. Ajloun Hotel: Located in the town center, Ajloun Hotel provides convenient access to Ajloun’s attractions and amenities. This budget-friendly option offers comfortable rooms, friendly service, and a welcoming atmosphere. The hotel’s central location allows visitors to explore the nearby Ajloun Castle and other cultural sites easily.
3. Olive Branch Hotel: The Olive Branch Hotel is a charming boutique hotel situated in a scenic location overlooking Ajloun’s olive groves. The hotel features tastefully decorated rooms, attentive staff, and a peaceful ambiance. Guests can relax in the hotel’s garden or terrace while enjoying panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
Where to Eat in Ajloun
1. Al-Quds Restaurant: Located in the heart of Ajloun, Al-Quds Restaurant is a local favorite known for its delicious Middle Eastern cuisine. The restaurant offers a wide range of traditional dishes, including flavorful mezze, succulent grilled meats, and aromatic rice dishes.
2. Beit Khayrat Restaurant: Situated in a charming old house, Beit Khayrat Restaurant offers a unique dining experience in Ajloun. The restaurant specializes in serving traditional Jordanian cuisine with a focus on local ingredients and flavors.
3. Ajloun Rest House: For those seeking a panoramic dining experience, Ajloun Rest House is an excellent choice. Perched on a hilltop, the restaurant offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. Guests can indulge in a variety of dishes, ranging from Arabic specialties to international cuisine, while enjoying the scenic vistas.
Travel Tips & Suggestions
1. Pack comfortable walking shoes for exploring historical sites and hiking trails.
2. Respect local customs and dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites.
3. Carry a reusable water bottle and stay hydrated, as the weather can be warm, especially during the summer months.
4. Try the local cuisine and savor traditional dishes for an authentic culinary experience.
5. Plan your visit to Ajloun Castle during the weekdays to avoid crowds.
Conclusion – Things to do in Ajloun
In conclusion, Ajloun is a hidden gem that offers a plethora of exciting experiences.
From exploring the historic Ajloun Castle and ancient ruins of Tell Mar Elias to immersing oneself in the natural beauty of the Ajloun Forest Reserve, this destination captivates visitors with its rich history and breathtaking landscapes.
With panoramic views, thriving olive groves, and a variety of outdoor activities, Ajloun is a treasure trove waiting to be explored. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or food enthusiast, Ajloun has something to offer for everyone.
So, pack your bags and embark on a remarkable journey to this remarkable destination.
FAQs – Things to do in Ajloun
What are the best things to do in Ajloun?
When visiting Ajloun, make sure to explore the historic Ajloun Castle, soak in the beauty of the Ajloun Forest Reserve, and discover the ancient ruins of Tell Mar Elias. Don’t forget to take a hike in the breathtaking Mount ‘Auf and indulge in the local cuisine for a truly authentic experience.
How can I reach Ajloun?
You can reach Ajloun by road from Amman, with a taxi or private car being convenient options. If you prefer public transportation, take a train to Irbid and then hire a taxi or take a local bus to Ajloun. Ajloun does not have its own airport, so the closest major airport is Queen Alia International Airport in Amman.
What is the best time to visit Ajloun?
The best time to visit Ajloun is during the spring (April to May) and autumn (September to October) seasons. The weather is mild and pleasant, with lush greenery and vibrant wildflowers creating a picturesque setting. These seasons also offer fewer crowds, allowing you to enjoy the attractions and experience the local culture in a more tranquil atmosphere.
Where can I stay in Ajloun?
For a unique experience surrounded by nature, consider staying at Ajloun Cabins within the Ajloun Forest Reserve. Ajloun Hotel in the town center provides easy access to attractions, while the Olive Branch Hotel offers a charming boutique stay overlooking olive groves.
What are the top places to eat in Ajloun?
Indulge in delicious Middle Eastern cuisine at Al-Quds Restaurant, savor traditional Jordanian dishes at Beit Khayrat Restaurant, or enjoy panoramic dining at Ajloun Rest House, offering breathtaking views of the countryside.
What are some travel tips for Ajloun?
Pack comfortable walking shoes, respect local customs by dressing modestly, and stay hydrated with a reusable water bottle. Try the local cuisine, plan your visit to popular sites on weekdays, and engage with the friendly locals to learn more about their culture and traditions.
Are there any guided tours available in Ajloun?
Yes, there are guided tours available in Ajloun, which provide a deeper insight into the history, culture, and significance of the attractions. Consider hiring a local guide for a more immersive experience and to make the most of your visit to Ajloun.
Next Available Trip
sharm el sheikh, Go up a Baloon in Luxor and Stay in martian colony in wadi rum.
Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
- 10 Best Things To Do In Wadi Rum For A Perfect Getaway (2023)
- 10 Best Things To Do In Jordan: Spectacular Adventures
- 10 Best Things To Do In Petra For Ultimate Adventure (2023)
- 10 Best Things To Do In Amman: Unleash Your Inner Explorer (2023)
- Explore Awe-Inspiring Dead Sea: Your Journey To Experience Divine Relaxation (2023)
- Roman Theatre Amman Travel Guide (2023): Everything You Need To Know Before You Go!
- 10 Best Things To Do In Jerash: Uncover Ancient Wonders (2023)
- 10 Best Things To Do In Karak: Unlock Hidden Gems (2023)
- 10 Best Things To Do In Jordan In Winter: A Spectacular Adventure Await (2023)
- 10 Best Things To Do In Jordan In Summer: The Ultimate Bucket List
- Discover The Mesmerizing Wonders Of Wadi Rum: 12 Must-See Attractions (2023)
- Petra Travel Guide (2023): History, Facts, Things To Do, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Best Time To Visit Jordan: A Month-By-Month Weather Breakdown (2023)
- 8 Local Customs And Traditions In Jordan You Need To Know!
- 10 Spectacular Festivals And Events In Jordan: Unforgettable Experiences Await
- 25 Jordan Local Food | Best Traditional Dishes In Jordan
- 15 Must-Have Souvenirs To Buy From Jordan: Unforgettable Mementos (2023)
- Discover The Top 9 Things To Do In Petra For Ultimate Adventure (2023)
- 5 Best Things To Do In Ajloun On Your Next Jordan Trip (2023)
- 8 Best Things To Do In Umm Qais: Exploring The Highlights Of Umm Qais (2023)
- 15 Best Things To Do In Irbid: Uncover Hidden Gems (2023)
- 10 Best Museums In Jordan That Will Leave You Speechless