Looking for the best things to do in Phu Quoc? If so, we’ve got you covered in this blog post.
From our past experience of leading group trips here, we’ve discovered the most exciting and memorable activities that this tropical paradise has to offer. Get ready to dive into crystal-clear waters, explore vibrant markets, and immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Phu Quoc.
Whether you’re seeking relaxation or adventure, our guide to the best things to do in Phu Quoc will ensure you make the most of your time on this enchanting island.
So, let’s embark on a journey of discovery together and unlock the hidden treasures of Phu Quoc.
5 Facts about Phu Quoc
- Phu Quoc offers a range of thrilling activities, from exploring Vinpearl Safari to kayaking along its stunning coastline.
- The island is known for its picturesque beaches, including Ong Lang Beach and Mango Bay, perfect for relaxation and sunset viewing.
- Phu Quoc’s cultural attractions, such as Cao Dai Temple and Coi Nguon Museum, provide insights into the island’s rich heritage.
- Adventure seekers can dive into the vibrant underwater world through scuba diving or embark on motorbike adventures to discover hidden gems.
- Phu Quoc’s culinary scene is a treat for food lovers, with fresh seafood at the floating village Rach Vem and unique wine tasting at Sim Wine Factory.
Best Things to Do in Phu Quoc
1. Vinpearl Safari
Located in the northwest of Phu Quoc Island, Vinpearl Safari is a must-visit attraction for wildlife enthusiasts. Spanning across a vast area, the safari allows visitors to get up close and personal with a diverse range of exotic animals, including elephants, giraffes, zebras, and more.
Be sure to catch the daily shows and feeding sessions to learn fascinating facts about these incredible creatures.
- Location: Ganh Dau, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning hours for cooler weather and animal activity
- Famous For: Exhilarating wildlife encounters, educational shows
2. Floating Village Rach Vem
Immerse yourself in the unique culture and lifestyle of the floating village of Rach Vem. Situated on the northeastern coast of the island, this charming village showcases traditional fishing practices and stilt houses hovering above the turquoise waters.
Take a boat tour to explore the village, interact with friendly locals, and savor freshly caught seafood delicacies prepared in authentic Vietnamese style.
- Location: Rach Vem, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Late afternoon for picturesque sunset views
- Famous For: Traditional fishing village, fresh seafood cuisine
3. Hon Thom Cable Car
Prepare for a breathtaking aerial adventure as you hop on the Hon Thom Cable Car, the longest cable car ride in the world that connects Phu Quoc to Hon Thom Island.
Enjoy panoramic views of the sparkling sea and lush landscapes as you soar through the sky. Once you reach Hon Thom Island, spend time exploring its pristine beaches, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or simply unwinding in beachfront cafes.
- Location: An Thoi, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning to avoid crowds and enjoy clearer views
- Famous For: Spectacular cable car ride, picturesque island scenery
4. Rory’s Beach Club
For a day of pure relaxation and seaside bliss, head to Rory’s Beach Club. Nestled along the stunning coastline of Phu Quoc, this trendy beach club offers a perfect blend of comfort and style.
Lounge on plush sunbeds, sip on refreshing cocktails and indulge in delectable cuisine while soaking up the sun’s warm rays.
With a lively atmosphere and breathtaking ocean views, Rory’s Beach Club is the ultimate beachside retreat.
- Location: Long Beach, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Afternoon for a vibrant beach ambiance and sunset views
- Famous For: Stylish beach club, scenic ocean vistas
5. Explore Phu Quoc on Motorbike
Unlock the hidden gems of Phu Quoc by embarking on a thrilling motorbike adventure. Rent a motorbike and hit the road, allowing the island’s captivating landscapes to unfold before you.
Cruise along the coastal roads, traverse dense jungles, and stumble upon secluded beaches and charming fishing villages.
With the freedom to explore at your own pace, you’ll have the opportunity to create unforgettable memories and discover the island’s best-kept secrets.
- Best Time to Visit: Early morning for cooler temperatures and less traffic
- Famous For: Scenic motorbike routes, off-the-beaten-path exploration
6. Cao Dai Temple
Delve into Phu Quoc’s spiritual side with a visit to the Cao Dai Temple. This vibrant and ornate temple is a testament to the island’s religious diversity.
Admire the intricate architecture, vibrant colors, and symbolic decorations that reflect the Cao Dai faith, a unique Vietnamese religious movement. Witness mesmerizing ceremonies and gain insight into the local culture and religious practices.
- Location: Duong Dong, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Midmorning to witness religious ceremonies
- Famous For: Ornate temple, Cao Dai religious rituals
7. Scuba Diving in Phu Quoc
Dive into an underwater wonderland and explore the vibrant marine life that thrives in Phu Quoc’s pristine waters.
With numerous dive sites catering to all skill levels, you can witness an array of colorful coral reefs, and tropical fish species, and even encounter majestic sea turtles.
Whether you’re a seasoned diver or a beginner, the island’s professional dive centers provide exceptional diving experiences that will leave you in awe of Phu Quoc’s underwater beauty.
- Best Time to Visit: Dry season (November to April) for optimal visibility
- Famous For: Rich marine biodiversity, captivating diving experiences
8. Duong Dong Market
Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture by exploring the bustling Duong Dong Market. This lively marketplace is a sensory delight, where you can find a wide array of fresh produce, spices, handicrafts, and souvenirs.
Wander through the maze of stalls, interact with friendly vendors, and sample delicious street food. From tropical fruits to aromatic spices, Duong Dong Market offers a glimpse into the island’s culinary and cultural heritage.
- Location: Duong Dong, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning for a bustling atmosphere and freshest produce
- Famous For: Local market experience, diverse food, and handicrafts
9. The Fish Sauce Factory
Discover the secrets behind Phu Quoc’s renowned fish sauce production with a visit to the Fish Sauce Factory. Learn about the traditional methods of fermenting fish to create this essential ingredient in Vietnamese cuisine.
Observe the fascinating production process and understand the importance of fish sauce in the local culinary traditions. Don’t forget to indulge in a tasting session to appreciate the distinct flavors that make Phu Quoc fish sauce so special.
- Location: Duong Dong, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning to witness the production process
- Famous For: Fish sauce production, tasting sessions
10. Suoi Tran Waterfall
Escape into nature’s embrace as you venture to Suoi Tran Waterfall, a hidden gem tucked away in Phu Quoc’s lush forests. Trek through scenic trails, following the sounds of cascading water until you reach the enchanting waterfall.
Cool off with a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear pools or simply relax amidst the tranquil surroundings. Suoi Tran Waterfall offers a serene retreat, allowing you to reconnect with nature and experience the island’s natural beauty.
- Location: Ham Ninh, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Rainy season (May to October) for fuller water flow
- Famous For: Serene waterfall, nature trekking
11. Pepper Farms in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc is renowned for its high-quality pepper, and a visit to the pepper farms is a must for spice enthusiasts. Explore the lush plantations where the famous Phu Quoc pepper is grown and learn about the cultivation process.
Engage with local farmers who will share their expertise and passion for this prized spice. Don’t miss the opportunity to purchase aromatic and flavorful pepper to bring a taste of Phu Quoc back home with you.
- Location: Various locations across Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Dry season for the harvest period (December to March)
- Famous For: Pepper cultivation, flavorful spice production
12. Kayaking in Phu Quoc
Embark on a thrilling kayaking adventure and discover Phu Quoc’s breathtaking coastline from a different perspective. Paddle through calm turquoise waters, exploring hidden coves, and navigating around picturesque rock formations.
Marvel at the vibrant marine life beneath you and take in the awe-inspiring natural beauty that surrounds the island. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced kayaker, Phu Quoc offers incredible opportunities for unforgettable water-based exploration.
- Best Time to Visit: Dry season for calmer seas and better visibility
- Famous For: Scenic kayaking routes, coastal exploration
13. Phu Quoc Prison
Step back in time and gain historical insights into Phu Quoc’s past by visiting Phu Quoc Prison. This somber and significant site serves as a reminder of the island’s role during the Vietnam War.
Explore the preserved exhibits, including prison cells, torture chambers, and displays depicting the harsh conditions endured by prisoners.
A visit to Phu Quoc Prison offers a chance to reflect on the island’s history and pay homage to those who suffered during this tumultuous period.
- Location: An Thoi, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning for a quieter and more contemplative experience
- Famous For: Historical significance, Vietnam War exhibits
14. Taste Wine at the Sim Wine Factory
Indulge your taste buds with a visit to the Sim Wine Factory, where you can savor the unique flavors of Phu Quoc’s homemade wines. Sim wine, made from the sim fruit found on the island, offers a delightful blend of sweet and tart notes.
Take a guided tour of the factory to learn about the winemaking process and sample a variety of Sim wines. It’s a delightful experience that combines local flavors with cultural appreciation.
- Location: Duong To, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Afternoon for a relaxed tasting session
- Famous For: Sim wine production, fruit wine tasting
15. Tranh Stream
Escape the heat and find tranquility at Tranh Stream, a picturesque oasis nestled in Phu Quoc’s verdant landscapes. Follow the gentle flow of the stream, which leads to a series of small waterfalls and natural pools.
Take a dip in the refreshing waters or simply enjoy the peaceful ambiance surrounded by lush greenery. Tranh Stream is a serene spot that offers respite and a chance to reconnect with nature.
- Location: Ham Ninh, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Rainy season for higher water levels and lush vegetation
- Famous For: Serene stream, natural pools
16. Phu Quoc Countryside
Immerse yourself in the idyllic beauty of Phu Quoc’s countryside by taking a leisurely bike ride through its picturesque landscapes. Pedal along winding paths that traverse lush fields, pepper plantations, and quaint villages.
Interact with friendly locals, witness their daily activities, and gain a deeper understanding of rural life on the island.
The peaceful countryside of Phu Quoc offers a serene escape from the bustling tourist areas, allowing you to appreciate the island’s natural charm.
- Best Time to Visit: Morning or late afternoon for cooler temperatures and pleasant scenery
- Famous For: Scenic bike routes, rural charm
17. Ong Lang Beach
Seek tranquility and relaxation at Ong Lang Beach, a hidden gem on Phu Quoc’s western coast. This pristine stretch of shoreline is characterized by soft white sands, crystalclear waters, and swaying palm trees.
Whether you want to soak up the sun, take a leisurely stroll along the shore, or simply unwind in a beachfront hammock, Ong Lang Beach offers the perfect setting for blissful moments of serenity.
- Location: Ong Lang, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Anytime for a peaceful and uncrowded beach experience
- Famous For: Tranquil beach, serene ambiance
18. Watch the Sunset at Mango Bay
Witness the mesmerizing beauty of a Phu Quoc sunset at Mango Bay. Nestled on a secluded stretch of coastline, this idyllic spot offers unobstructed views of the sun sinking below the horizon, painting the sky with a vibrant tapestry of colors.
Relax on a beach lounger, sip on a refreshing cocktail, and marvel at nature’s awe-inspiring spectacle. The tranquil atmosphere and breathtaking vistas make Mango Bay a must-visit destination for romantics and nature enthusiasts alike.
- Location: Duong To, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Evening to witness the sunset in all its glory
- Famous For: Stunning sunset views, peaceful beach setting
19. Ho Quoc Pagoda
Delve into Phu Quoc’s spiritual heritage with a visit to Ho Quoc Pagoda. Perched on a hill overlooking the ocean, this serene Buddhist temple offers a tranquil atmosphere for contemplation and reflection.
Marvel at the intricate architectural details, vibrant colors, and panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. Engage in quiet meditation, participate in religious ceremonies, or simply absorb the peaceful ambiance that pervades Ho Quoc Pagoda.
- Location: An Thoi, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Early morning for a serene and tranquil experience
- Famous For: Scenic temple, spiritual retreat
20. Coi Nguon Museum
Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Phu Quoc at the Coi Nguon Museum. This fascinating museum showcases the island’s history, traditional crafts, and local customs through informative exhibits and displays.
Learn about the island’s fishing industry, pearl farming, and the cultural significance of various artifacts. Coi Nguon Museum provides valuable insights into the island’s past, allowing visitors to develop a deeper appreciation for Phu Quoc’s vibrant heritage.
- Location: Duong Dong, Phu Quoc
- Best Time to Visit: Morning to explore the museum at a leisurely pace
- Famous For: Cultural exhibits, historical insights
Best Time to Visit Phu Quoc
The best time to visit Phu Quoc is during the dry season, which spans from November to April. This period offers pleasant weather with warm temperatures and minimal rainfall, creating ideal conditions for outdoor activities and beach relaxation.
The months of December and January are particularly popular among tourists. However, if you prefer fewer crowds and lower accommodation rates, consider visiting during the shoulder months of November, February, or March.
Keep in mind that Phu Quoc experiences a rainy season from May to October, characterized by higher humidity and occasional downpours. While this period may offer fewer tourists and discounted prices, outdoor activities can be limited due to the weather conditions.
How to Get to Phu Quoc
- By Air: Phu Quoc has an international airport (Phu Quoc International Airport – PQC) that receives direct flights from major cities in Vietnam, as well as international destinations like Singapore, Malaysia, and China. Several airlines operate regular flights to and from Phu Quoc, making air travel a convenient option.
- By Sea: Another option is to reach Phu Quoc by sea. There are ferry services available from the mainland city of Ha Tien and Rach Gia. The ferry journey takes around 2-2.5 hours, offering scenic views of the sea.
- By Bus and Ferry: If you’re already in Vietnam, you can travel to Phu Quoc by taking a bus from cities like Ho Chi Minh City or Can Tho to the ports in Ha Tien or Rach Gia. From there, you can board a ferry to Phu Quoc.
Where to Stay in Phu Quoc
- JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa: Experience unparalleled luxury and elegance at JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa. Nestled on a pristine beach, this five-star resort boasts beautifully designed rooms, world-class amenities, and a stunning infinity pool.
- Mango Bay Resort: Embrace tranquility at Mango Bay Resort, a hidden eco-resort nestled amidst lush gardens and overlooking a private beach. With its rustic charm and sustainable practices, the resort offers bungalows and villas that blend seamlessly with nature.
- Salinda Resort Phu Quoc Island: Immerse yourself in refined luxury at Salinda Resort Phu Quoc Island. This beachfront haven combines contemporary elegance with warm Vietnamese hospitality. Indulge in spacious rooms, relax by the infinity pool, and treat your taste buds to a delightful culinary journey.
Where to Eat in Phu Quoc
- Pho Bo Sua: Savor the authentic flavors of Vietnam at Pho Bo Sua, a local favorite known for its delicious bowls of pho. This cozy restaurant in Phu Quoc serves steaming bowls of beef noodle soup, bursting with fragrant herbs and tender meat.
- Cau Da Seafood Restaurant: Indulge in the freshest seafood at Cau Da Seafood Restaurant, located near the bustling Duong Dong Market. This waterfront eatery offers a wide selection of locally sourced seafood, prepared to perfection.
- The Pepper Tree Restaurant: Immerse yourself in a culinary journey at The Pepper Tree Restaurant, situated within the lush surroundings of La Veranda Resort. This elegant dining establishment showcases a fusion of French and Vietnamese cuisines, incorporating the island’s famous pepper into its innovative dishes.
Travel Tips & Suggestions
- Plan your visit during the dry season (November to April) for optimal weather and outdoor activities.
- Book accommodations and transportation in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, hats, and mosquito repellent to protect yourself from the sun and insects.
- Try local delicacies at the night markets and street food stalls for an authentic culinary experience.
- Rent a motorbike or bicycle to explore the island at your own pace and discover hidden gems.
- Respect the local culture and customs when visiting temples and religious sites.
- Take care of the environment by practicing responsible tourism, such as avoiding single-use plastics and following designated hiking trails.
Conclusion – Best Things to Do in Phu Quoc
In conclusion, Phu Quoc is a tropical paradise that offers an array of unforgettable experiences. From exploring Vinpearl Safari and kayaking along the coast to immersing yourself in the local culture at Duong Dong Market and Cao Dai Temple, this island has it all.
Relax on pristine beaches, savor fresh seafood, and embark on adventures in this captivating destination. Whether you seek relaxation, exploration, or cultural immersion, the best things to do in Phu Quoc will create lasting memories of a truly remarkable vacation.
FAQs – Best Things to Do in Phu Quoc
What are the best things to do in Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc offers a wide range of activities to suit every traveler’s interests. From exploring Vinpearl Safari and kayaking along the coast to visiting cultural landmarks like Cao Dai Temple, there’s something for everyone on this island paradise.
When is the best time to visit Phu Quoc?
The best time to visit Phu Quoc is during the dry season, which spans from November to April. This period offers pleasant weather, ideal for outdoor activities and beach relaxation. However, if you prefer fewer crowds, consider visiting during the shoulder months of November, February, or March.
How do I get to Phu Quoc?
You can reach Phu Quoc by air, with the island having an international airport that receives direct flights from major cities. Alternatively, you can take a ferry from Ha Tien or Rach Gia if you prefer a sea journey. Bus and ferry combinations are also available from cities within Vietnam.
Where should I stay in Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Some popular choices include JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa for luxury, Mango Bay Resort for eco-friendly charm, and Salinda Resort Phu Quoc Island for refined elegance.
Are there any good restaurants in Phu Quoc?
Absolutely! Phu Quoc boasts a vibrant culinary scene. Don’t miss trying local dishes at Pho Bo Sua for authentic pho, Cau Da Seafood Restaurant for fresh seafood, and The Pepper Tree Restaurant for a fusion of French and Vietnamese flavors.
Are there any travel tips for visiting Phu Quoc?
Yes! Remember to pack sunscreen and mosquito repellent, book accommodations and transportation in advance, and respect the local culture when visiting temples. Renting a motorbike or bicycle is a great way to explore the island, and don’t forget to indulge in the local street food for an authentic culinary experience.
What makes Phu Quoc a must-visit destination?
Phu Quoc’s stunning beaches, diverse activities, rich cultural heritage, and delectable cuisine make it a dream destination. Whether you seek relaxation, adventure, or cultural exploration, Phu Quoc has something to offer, ensuring an unforgettable vacation in this tropical paradise.
- Best Things to Do in Vietnam: Unforgettable Adventures
- Best Things to Do in Vietnam for Couples: Lovebirds’ Paradise
- Best Things to Do in Vietnam with Family: Unmissable Adventures
- Best Things to Do in Hanoi: Capital Unveiled
- Best Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh: Discover the Unseen
- Best Things to Do in Da Nang Now: Exhilarating Adventures
- Best Things to Do in Hoi An: Experience Like Never Before
- Best Things to Do in Nha Trang: Adventure Awaits
- Best Things to Do in Hue Today: Unforgettable Hue Experiences
- Best Things to Do in Sapa: Unleash Your Adventurous Side
- Best Things to Do in Halong Bay: Discover Paradise
- Best Things to Do in Phu Quoc: Experience Bliss
- Best Things to Do in Dalat: Get Ready for Thrills
- Best Things to Do in Can Tho: Unleash Your Wanderlust
- Best Things to Do in Vung Tau for Blissful Relaxation: Escape to Paradise
- Vietnam Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Hanoi Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Da Nang Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Hoi An Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- Nha Trang Travel Guide: History, Facts, How To Reach, Best Time To Visit
- 23 Popular Dishes in Vietnam: Vietnamese Cuisine Unleashed
- 16 Best Festivals in Vietnam That Will Leave You Speechless: Experience the Magic
- 16 Things to Avoid in Vietnam: Travel Smarter
- 22 Best Beaches in Vietnam: The Ultimate Beach Lover’s Guide
- Top 16 Famous Temples in Vietnam: Sacred Wonders
- 16 Best Honeymoon Destinations In Vietnam: Wanderlust and Romance
- 16 Best Waterfalls in Vietnam: Dive into Paradise
- 15 Best Souvenirs from Vietnam You Can’t Miss: Get Ready to Shop
- Best Time to Visit Vietnam: A Month by Month Breakdown