In this blog post, we’ve mentioned the best things to do in Gilli Trawangan to make the most of your Gilli Trawangan.
Did you know that Gili Trawangan is a paradise island nestled in the pristine waters of Indonesia? It’s a hidden gem just waiting to be explored, and we’re here to be your guide.
From our past experience of leading group trips here, we’ve discovered the best activities, stunning beaches, thrilling water sports, mouthwatering local cuisine, and even the hidden cultural gems that make Gili Trawangan truly special.
So, if you’re looking to know more about this tropical paradise, listen up because we’ve got all the insider tips and recommendations to make your trip unforgettable.
Why Gili Trawangan should be on your travel bucket list?
Gili Trawangan’s allure lies in its pristine beaches, stunning marine life, and the sense of tranquility it offers. Whether you’re a nature lover, an adventure seeker, or someone looking to unwind, Gili Trawangan has something for everyone.
The island’s vibrant underwater ecosystem makes it a haven for snorkeling and diving, while its picturesque landscapes provide a picturesque backdrop for sunbathing and sunset gazing.
With its charming village atmosphere, no motorized vehicles, and a range of accommodation options to suit every budget, Gili Trawangan promises an unforgettable tropical getaway.
Best Things to Do in Gili Trawangan
1. Relaxing at the Beaches
Gili Trawangan is renowned for its stunning beaches, and spending a day lounging on the soft sand and soaking up the sun is a must-do activity.
The island boasts several picturesque beaches, including the popular Sunset Beach, where you can enjoy breathtaking views as the sun dips below the horizon.
For a more tranquil experience, head to the secluded beaches on the east coast, such as Goodheart Beach or Secret Beach, where you can unwind in peace.
2. Snorkeling and Diving Adventures
Explore the vibrant underwater world surrounding Gili Trawangan on a snorkeling trip. Join a guided tour or rent snorkeling gear and venture out on your own to discover the colorful coral reefs, tropical fish, and even sea turtles that inhabit the waters.
Some popular snorkeling spots include Turtle Point, Shark Point, and Meno Wall.
3. Island Hopping in the Gili Islands
Embark on an island-hopping adventure to explore the neighboring Gili Islands. Hop on a boat and visit Gili Meno and Gili Air, each offering its own unique charm.
Gili Meno is known for its romantic atmosphere, pristine beaches, and the opportunity to swim alongside wild turtles in the Turtle Sanctuary.
Gili Air, on the other hand, offers a more laid-back vibe with a mix of snorkeling spots, beachfront cafes, and breathtaking sunsets.
4. Bike Tour Around the Island
One of the best ways to explore Gili Trawangan is by renting a bicycle and taking a leisurely tour around the island.
With no motorized vehicles allowed, biking is the primary mode of transportation, providing a refreshing and eco-friendly way to discover the island’s hidden gems.
Pedal along the coastal paths, pass through lush greenery, and stop at charming cafes and viewpoints along the way.
Bicycles are readily available for rent at various locations on the island, and it’s a great way to immerse yourself in the island’s laid-back atmosphere while enjoying the scenic beauty.
5. Taking a Ride Along the Beach on a Horse
For a unique and memorable experience, take a horse ride along the stunning beaches of Gili Trawangan.
Horseback riding tours are offered on the island, allowing you to explore the shoreline and witness the beauty of the island from a different perspective.
Whether it’s a romantic sunset ride or a leisurely trot along the coast, horseback riding offers a serene and picturesque way to enjoy the island’s natural beauty.
6. Epic Sunset Viewing Spots
Gili Trawangan is renowned for its breathtaking sunsets, and there are several spots on the island where you can witness this magical phenomenon.
Head to the west coast, particularly Sunset Beach or Ombak Sunset Swing, for front-row seats to the stunning colors of the setting sun.
Enjoy a refreshing drink, snap some Instagram-worthy photos, and marvel at the beauty of nature as the sky transforms into a canvas of vibrant hues.
7. Visit the Famous Gili T Swings
The Gili T swings have become an iconic symbol of the island, and no visit to Gili Trawangan is complete without a swing session. Located on the northwestern part of the island, the swings offer a fun and exhilarating experience.
Pose for photos as you swing above the crystal-clear water, surrounded by the breathtaking landscape. The swings provide the perfect opportunity to create lasting memories and capture stunning vacation photos.
8. Catch the Excitement of Stick Fight Tournaments
Immerse yourself in the local culture and witness the thrilling tradition of stick fight tournaments. Held on certain occasions and holidays, these tournaments showcase the skill and agility of local martial artists.
Watch as participants engage in dynamic duels, demonstrating their prowess in the ancient art of stick fighting. It’s a fascinating and adrenaline-pumping spectacle that gives you a glimpse into the island’s cultural heritage.
9. Surfing, Fishing, and BBQ
Gili Trawangan offers fantastic opportunities for water sports enthusiasts. If you’re into surfing, head to the southern part of the island, where you’ll find surf breaks suitable for different skill levels.
Additionally, fishing trips can be arranged for those who want to try their hand at catching their own dinner. Some tour operators even offer a BBQ on a secluded beach, where you can enjoy your freshly caught fish.
10. Water Sports on the Main Island
Jet skiing, paddleboarding, and kayaking are popular water activities that you can enjoy on the main island of Gili Trawangan.
Rent equipment from various beachfront vendors and explore the crystal-clear waters at your own pace. Whether you prefer a thrilling ride on a jet ski or a peaceful paddle along the coast, these water sports provide endless fun and adventure.
12. Snacking your way through the Gili T Night Market
Indulge in the vibrant culinary scene of Gili Trawangan at the Night Market. As the sun sets, the market comes alive with an array of food stalls offering a tempting selection of local delicacies and international flavors.
Sample freshly grilled seafood, and traditional Indonesian street food like satay and nasi goreng, and satisfy your sweet tooth with delectable desserts.
The Night Market is not only a gastronomic adventure but also a cultural experience, immersing you in the lively atmosphere and authentic flavors of the island.
13. Shopping in the Night Market
Aside from the mouthwatering food, the Night Market also offers a variety of shopping opportunities.
Browse through stalls selling unique handicrafts, colorful sarongs, handmade jewelry, and other souvenirs. It’s the perfect place to find gifts for loved ones or mementos to remember your time on the island.
14. Enjoying a Night Out at Sama Sama Reggae Bar
Sama Sama Reggae Bar is a popular nightlife spot in Gili Trawangan, offering live music, a vibrant atmosphere, and a chance to dance the night away.
Located near the harbor, the bar features talented local bands and international guest musicians playing reggae, rock, and other genres.
Grab a cold drink, groove to the rhythm of the music, and mingle with fellow travelers and locals. The laid-back vibe and friendly ambiance of Sama Sama Reggae Bar make it a favorite hangout spot for both locals and tourists alike.
15. Partying and Nightlife in Gili Trawangan
Jamming to Favorite Medleys
Gili Trawangan is known for its vibrant nightlife, with numerous bars and clubs offering an exciting party scene. Dance to the beats of DJs, enjoy live music performances, and soak up the energetic atmosphere.
Some popular nightlife hotspots include Jiggy Bar, Sama Sama Reggae Bar, and Blue Marlin. Whether you prefer electronic music, reggae tunes, or live bands, Gili Trawangan has something for everyone to enjoy.
In addition to the bars and clubs, Gili Trawangan is also home to beach parties and events that take place throughout the year.
Look out for full moon parties, beach bonfires, and themed events that promise an unforgettable night of fun and celebration.
These lively gatherings attract partygoers from all over the world, creating a festive and vibrant atmosphere on the island.
16. Appreciating the Cinema
For a unique cinematic experience, visit the open-air cinema in Gili Trawangan. Settle into a bean bag or lounge chair under the starry sky and enjoy a movie screening on a large outdoor screen.
The cinema offers a selection of both classic and recent releases, providing a cozy and memorable evening activity. Sit back, relax, and immerse yourself in the magic of the movies in this one-of-a-kind setting.
17. Massage on the Beach
Treat yourself to a soothing massage on the beach and indulge in ultimate relaxation. Numerous massage parlors and beachfront spas offer a range of treatments, from traditional Balinese massages to aromatherapy and reflexology.
The sound of the ocean and the gentle breeze enhance the tranquil ambiance, allowing you to unwind and rejuvenate both body and mind.
18. Joining a Cooking Class
Immerse yourself in the flavors of Indonesian cuisine by joining a cooking class on Gili Trawangan. Learn to prepare traditional dishes under the guidance of experienced local chefs.
From mastering the art of creating flavorful curries to perfecting the techniques of preparing Indonesian satay, these cooking classes provide a hands-on experience that will leave you with culinary skills to impress friends and family back home.
How to Get to Gili Trawangan
Getting from Bali to Gili Trawangan:
The most common way to reach Gili Trawangan from Bali is by taking a fast boat from Padang Bai or Serangan. The journey takes approximately 2-3 hours, depending on the sea conditions.
Alternatively, you can also opt for a flight from Bali to Lombok and then take a boat from Lombok to Gili Trawangan.
Getting from Lombok to Gili Trawangan:
If you’re coming from Lombok, you can take a public boat from Bangsal Harbor to Gili Trawangan. The boat ride takes around 15-20 minutes and operates regularly throughout the day.
Best Time to Visit Gili Trawangan
Gili Trawangan enjoys a tropical climate, with warm temperatures year-round. The best time to visit is during the dry season, which runs from April to October.
During this time, the weather is sunny, and the sea conditions are ideal for water activities like snorkeling and diving. The months of July and August are considered the peak tourist season, so it’s advisable to book accommodation and activities in advance.
If you prefer a quieter experience, you can visit during the shoulder months of April, May, September, or October when the island is less crowded, and prices are more affordable.
Where to Stay in Gili Trawangan
Gili Trawangan offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Whether you’re looking for luxurious beachfront resorts, cozy boutique hotels, or budget-friendly guesthouses, you’ll find plenty of choices.
Some popular areas to consider for your stay are:
- West Coast: This area offers stunning sunset views and easy access to the beach. It’s ideal for those who want to be close to the island’s main attractions, restaurants, and nightlife.
- East Coast: If you prefer a more peaceful and secluded atmosphere, the east coast of Gili Trawangan is a great option. Here, you’ll find serene beaches and a quieter ambiance.
- Central Area: This area is a good choice for travelers who want to be within walking distance of both the East and West coasts. It offers a mix of accommodations and easy access to restaurants, shops, and entertainment options.
Where to Eat in Gili Trawangan
1. Popular Dining Spots
1. Pearl Beach Lounge:
Located right on the beach, Pearl Beach Lounge offers a stylish setting and a diverse menu that includes Indonesian, Mediterranean, and international dishes. Enjoy delicious food while taking in the stunning ocean views.
2. The Banyan Tree:
This charming restaurant boasts a tranquil garden setting and a menu featuring a fusion of Asian and Western cuisine. From fresh seafood to vegetarian delights, The Banyan Tree offers something for every palate.
3. Scallywags Organic Seafood Bar & Grill:
Known for its fresh seafood and grilled specialties, Scallywags is a must-visit for seafood lovers. Their sustainably sourced ingredients and cozy atmosphere make for a delightful dining experience.
2. Local Cuisine and Seafood Delicacies
When in Gili Trawangan, don’t miss the opportunity to savor the local cuisine and indulge in the island’s seafood delicacies. Some must-try dishes include:
- – Gado-Gado: A traditional Indonesian salad made with mixed vegetables, tofu, and peanut sauce.
- – Sate Plecing: Grilled skewers of meat served with a spicy chili sauce.
- – Grilled fish: Enjoy the catch of the day, grilled to perfection and served with aromatic spices and sambal.
- – Fresh coconut water: Stay refreshed with the island’s abundant coconuts, which are readily available at beachfront stalls.
- – Seafood BBQ: Experience a feast of grilled prawns, lobster, fish, and squid, accompanied by flavorful sauces and side dishes.
What to Pack for Gili Trawangan
1. Essential Items for a Beach Vacation
- – Sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from the tropical sun.
- – Swimwear and beach towels for days spent by the water.
- – Flip-flops or sandals for walking around the island.
- – Lightweight, breathable clothing suitable for warm weather.
- – A hat or cap and sunglasses for sun protection.
- – A reusable water bottle to stay hydrated.
- – A waterproof bag or case for your electronic devices.
- – Cash and cards for transactions as ATMs are limited on the island.
2. Clothing and Accessories
- Casual and comfortable clothing for exploring the island, such as shorts, dresses, and t-shirts.
- Light layers for cooler evenings or when visiting temples and cultural sites.
- A lightweight rain jacket or poncho in case of tropical showers.
- Comfortable walking shoes or sneakers for island exploration and bike rides.
- A sarong or scarf for visiting temples or as a beach cover-up.
- Snorkeling gear (if you have your own) including a mask, snorkel, and fins.
- A small backpack or beach bag to carry your belongings.
3. Snorkeling and Diving Gear
If you’re planning to snorkel or dive in Gili Trawangan, consider bringing or renting the following gear:
- Snorkel mask and fins: Although snorkeling gear is readily available for rent on the island, having your own can provide a more comfortable and personalized fit.
- Dive certification card (if you’re a certified diver): If you’re a certified diver, don’t forget to bring your dive certification card to participate in diving excursions.
Conclusion – Things to do in Gilli Trawangan
In conclusion, Gili Trawangan is a captivating destination that combines breathtaking natural beauty, thrilling activities, and vibrant local culture.
Whether you’re lounging on the pristine beaches, diving into the crystal-clear waters, immersing yourself in the island’s nightlife, or indulging in mouthwatering cuisine, Gili Trawangan has something for everyone.
So pack your bags, embrace the island vibes, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime. From stunning sunsets to exhilarating adventures, Gili Trawangan will leave you in awe and longing to return for more. Don’t miss out on this tropical paradise – it’s time to experience the magic of Gili Trawangan!
FAQs – Things to do in Gilli Trawangan
How do I get to Gili Trawangan from Bali or Lombok?
Getting to Gili Trawangan is easy! From Bali, you can take a fast boat from popular ports like Padang Bai or Serangan. If you’re coming from Lombok, there are multiple fast boat options departing from Bangsal Harbor. Just hop on a boat, sit back, and enjoy the scenic ride to paradise.
When is the best time to visit Gili Trawangan?
The best time to visit Gili Trawangan is during the dry season, which runs from April to October. The weather is sunny, the water is crystal clear, and the island is buzzing with energy. However, if you prefer fewer crowds, consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of April-May or September-October.
Where should I stay in Gili Trawangan?
Gili Trawangan offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you’re looking for luxury resorts, cozy guesthouses, or vibrant backpacker hostels, you’ll find plenty of choices. Some popular areas to stay include the central area near the harbor for easy access to restaurants and nightlife, as well as the quieter northern and southern parts of the island for a more serene experience.
What are the must-visit attractions in Gili Trawangan?
Don’t miss the breathtaking beaches where you can relax and soak up the sun. Dive into the underwater world with snorkeling and diving adventures to witness the vibrant marine life. Explore the other two Gili Islands, Gili Air and Gili Meno, on an island-hopping trip. Hop on a bicycle and tour the island at your own pace, or take a horse ride along the beach for a memorable experience. And of course, don’t forget to catch the epic sunset views and swing at the famous Gili T Swings.
What can I expect from the nightlife in Gili Trawangan?
Gili Trawangan is renowned for its vibrant nightlife. Head to Sama Sama Reggae Bar for live music and a laid-back atmosphere. Join the festivities at the nightclubs and beach parties, where you can dance the night away. Enjoy a movie under the stars at the open-air cinema, or simply relax with a drink at one of the beachfront bars while enjoying the cool ocean breeze.
Are there any cultural experiences in Gili Trawangan?
While Gili Trawangan is primarily known for its beach and water activities, you can still immerse yourself in the local culture. Visit the night market to sample delicious Indonesian street food and shop for souvenirs. Experience the excitement of stick fight tournaments, a traditional sport in the region. And don’t miss the opportunity to appreciate the local art and handicrafts showcased in various galleries and shops.
What are the best places to eat in Gili Trawangan?
Gili Trawangan offers a diverse range of dining options to satisfy your taste buds. From popular spots like Pearl Beach Lounge, The Banyan Tree, and Scallywags Organic Seafood Bar & Grill to local warungs serving authentic Indonesian cuisine, you’ll find something to suit every palate. Indulge in fresh seafood delicacies, try traditional Indonesian dishes like Gado-gado and Sate Plecing, and don’t forget to quench your thirst with refreshing fresh coconut water.
- 26 Unforgettable Things to Do in Bali : ( Unlock the Beauty of the Island!]
- Embark on an Epic Adventure: Mount Batur Sunrise Trek
- Discover Bali’s Picturesque Gem: Tegallalang Rice Terrace Field
- Uluwatu Temple: Experience Bali’s Majestic Cliffside Wonder
- Unveiling Ubud: 7 Must-Do Activities in Bali’s Cultural Hub
- Plan Your Visit: Tanah Lot Temple Timing
- Indulge in Paradise: Seminyak Beach Delights
- Experience the Vibrant Vibe: 7 Must-Try Activities at Kuta Beach
- Nusa Dua Beach: A Haven of Luxury and Relaxation
- Jimbaran Beach: Unwind in Bali’s Serene Coastal Retreat
- Sanur Beach: Discover Tranquility on Bali’s East Coast
- Unleash Your Inner Dancer: Balinese Dance Experiences
- Journey to Sacred Tranquility: Pura Luhur Batukaru Temple
- Bali Swing: Soar to New Heights of Adventure
- Dive into Underwater Paradise: Bali’s Best Diving Spots
- 16 Best Party Places in Bali: Unforgettable Nights Await
- Embark on Bali Adventure Activities: 7 Thrilling Experiences
- Immerse in Bali’s Cultural Tapestry: Discover the Island’s Heritage
- Discover Bali’s Beachfront Gems: 7 Best Coastal Escapes
- Temples to Visit in Bali: Unveiling Spiritual Marvels
- Chase Waterfall Wonder: Bali’s Best Cascades
- Surfing Paradise: Bali’s Best Spots to Ride the Waves
- Explore Beyond Bali: 7 Unforgettable Day Trips
- Shop Like a Local: Bali’s Best Markets for Souvenirs
- Taste Bali’s Flavors: Exploring the Local Cuisine
- Bali Nightlife Extravaganza: Unveiling the Hottest Spots
- Indulge in Pure Bliss: Bali’s Best Spa Retreats
- Stay in Paradise: Bali’s Top Accommodation Picks
- Bali Etiquette and Culture: Unveiling Local Customs
- Thrilling Adventures: Bali’s Top 5 Activities for Adrenaline Junkies
- Inner Harmony Awaits: Bali’s Best Yoga Studios
- Captivating Beauty: Bali’s Most Scenic Destinations
- Souvenir Shopping in Bali: Where to Find the Perfect Mementos
- Art Centers in Bali: Unleashing Creative Brilliance
- Bali 10-Day Trip Budget Guide: Maximize Your Adventure
- Chasing Sunsets: Bali’s 7 Best Spots to Witness Magical Moments
- Gili Trawangan Adventures: Unveiling the Best Experiences
- Nusa Penida Wonders: Must-Do Activities on Bali’s Neighbor Island